Chelsea boss Enzo Maresca has revealed whether Chelsea plan to use the January transfer window to recruit a new striker.
Article continues below
Article continues below
Article continues below
Maresca resists striker pursuitMarc Guiu to get more playing timeYoungster hardly seen in Premier LeagueFollow GOAL on WhatsApp! 🟢📱WHAT HAPPENED?
Instead of spending money to strengthen at the top end of the pitch, Maresca is instead looking to better utilise an option already at disposal. The Italian wants to give more Premier League chances to young former Barcelona striker Marc Guiu.
AdvertisementAFPTHE BIGGER PICTURE
Chelsea are flush with attacking players, but not many who are considered centre forwards. Christopher Nkunku is next in line behind usual number nine Nicolas Jackson but has made the majority of his starts covering for Cole Palmer in an attacking midfield role. The squad's firepower has also dried up in recent games, netting only once in three Premier League fixtures against Everton, Fulham and Ipswich. Guiu, who has now turned 19, has been afforded just 23 minutes in the Premier League so far this season – and none since August, but has netted six goals in six Conference League games.
WHAT ENZO MARESCA SAID
Maresca said: "We have a young striker in Marc Guiu, who is doing very good in the Conference League. I didn't give him enough minutes in the Premier League to prove it. Hopefully we can start to give him some minutes very soon."
Getty Images SportWHAT NEXT?
Chesea's January isn't as busy as some rivals clubs, with only five games during the month. But there could still be opportunity to build Guiu into a more regular player. That might not start with the Premier League, given that Chelsea host League Two's Morecambe in the FA Cup third round on January 11, yet the Blues have follow-up league games at Stamford Bridge against Bournemouth and Wolves in the nine days that follow.






